Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The End of an Era, The Beginning of a New

Alas! It is done! My class has recently finished our systems, processes and homeostasis class. Those are just fancy words for physiology and pharmacology. I'm not going to lie, that class was hard, but it was fun. Now that SPH is over with, we move on to some relatively more clinically oriented stuff in our Biological Basis of Disease class.

It is hard to believe that I am nearly 1/4 of the way done with my degree already. The more I think about that, the more terrified become. In just three short years, I will be unleashed on the world, free to wreak havoc on all who see me!!! :) This leads me to another point.

To those of you that you know me, you know I was full on ortho boy. I wasn't going to relent. That is what I wanted, and I was going to get it. Now...I'm not so sure. I have come to realize that I'm slowly getting tired of trying to constantly achieve perfection in everything I do. On top of that, I'm far from achieving perfection, so I'm constantly worried and stressed out. My grades have been decent, but I'm not in the top 15% of my class, not even close. I'm sitting pretty in the middle. This being said, my eyes have been opened to two new areas of medicine I had no exposure in previously, pediatric critical care and anesthesiology. Currently, with the way the system is set up, I can't do one, then do a fellowship in the other, i.e. a residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship in pediatric critical care (you used to be able to do that). But I have found there are some programs in the US that would allow me to do a combined peds/anesthesiology residency. I will be BE, BC in both, and will also be able to do a peds critical care fellowship! I'm not still 100% sure if this is the route that I will take, but I have enjoyed those two rotations very much, and find that they are "my people" more than ortho. Okay, I must get back to paying attention to presentations.


Mark Halvorson

No comments:

Post a Comment