Friday, May 4, 2012

Immuno...What was that we just studied?

Ahhh the joys of medical school...really, there are a lot of them, you just have to be willing to find them. Sometimes, that is a very difficult thing to do, especially in the Willamette Valley, where the sun doesn't show its wonderful face for many months. It is during those long dreary months that you lose sight of why you are in medical school. When that happens, it becomes imperative to find something beyond medical school to focus your sights on.

Enough with this fluffy existential stuff. We have started a new class, the Biologic Basis of Disease...

And now we are in the middle of a "block" of immunology. It is more like a week of cramming a really interesting and important subject into a few days so we don't remember it in two weeks. This is not the most effective way to teach immuno. I was blessed to have had taken it in my undergraduate studies, but the majority of my class has not and I am saddened by the amount of frustration and confusion this subject is causing them. Fortunately, we only have two more days really, then an exam on Monday. After the exam I'm not doing anything. I don't know how I could. I'm brain dead. My brain keeps saying "no more, no more," yet I keep cramming stuff in it. It is very much like grocery store bags...you know when you keep putting more and more stuff in the bag, even though you know full well that it is at capacity and has the potential to break any moment? Yeah, that is how I feel right now.

But fear not, I shall persevere. Daily I still find myself surprised that I am nearly done with 25% of my degree. I probably spend too much time thinking about that actually. Nearly a bunch (I don't have a number) of my class is getting married this summer. Why does getting married always seem like the cool thing to do during the summer?

Well, tootles for now, I have to finish watching Star Wars Episode IV before I go to sleep.

Mark Halvorson

No comments:

Post a Comment