Sunday, October 7, 2012

Long Time...Sorry About this

Hey y'all...Sorry for the time in between posts.

The end of the year last year took a lot out of me. I believe my last post was in reference to our crash course in immunology. After that we had a crash course in many different things microbiology related. I'm beginning to realize that many things in medical school are just that...crash courses in one subject or another. Sometimes, this rush of information makes me think about how some other countries do the whole medical training thing. I'm beginning to see the value in having a combined undergrad/grad school program that is designed to produce physicians. It would not be as stressful (maybe) and you have more time to learn things better. But alas, I can not change anything now.

My summer was rather uneventful. I moved from my old apartment into a house (affectionately called the Raptor Den) with some of my classmates. It has been a very different, but welcome change. I also visited my brother in the Republic of Georgia for about two weeks. Other than that, I didn't really do anything. I tried to distance myself from medicine as much as I could, as this was my last summer of freedom...ever.

A theme that keeps on reappearing in medical school is how do I use my time and what do I use it for? With the frequency at which it appears, it makes me think I'm either not learning the lesson that needs to be learned, or that it is merely a means to reinforce a very important idea that we all have to face one day sooner or later. This summer, I was once again presented with this theme, this trending idea. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize this until after my summer had ended. I spent much of this summer doing nothing really, and I have to ask myself, was that the most judicious use of my time? I would have to say no, but then again, many good things did come from this summer. I was able to fully appreciate a few friendships that I had formed over the course of the year. I also realized how important my church family is to me, and how much of a blessing they are. Realizing this, I wish I would have served more than I did at church. Despite this, I still have this nagging feeling...what do I use my time for?

School started the 27th of August. I did not realize how hard this year would be for me. Some of my classmates would probably say it is easier, but I'm struggling. I'm not quite sure why this is, but the truth of the matter is, last year I kept my head above water, and now, well, it really isn't.

We are currently in the middle of our "circulation" course. No this is not a course in library procedures, but rather the pathophysiology of all things regarding the circulatory system in the body. The material is fascinating, but there is so much of it. I know I have studied a lot, but am not quite sure how much of it I remember. Either my iceberg is shrinking or I am having binary fission of penguins.

Well, that is about it for now. I just wanted to throw out an update to y'all. I hope to do this on more of a regular basis.


Mark Halvorson

No comments:

Post a Comment